Working in a Nursing Profession
Those who are called to work in a nursing profession is definitely not doing an easy job. They attend to several patient’s needs in one shift at the same time giving what they need, checking them from time to time, making sure that their patients take their medicines on time, as well as preparing reports and updating records to whoever will replace them in their shift. Although being in a helping or nursing profession comes with so much joy, it can also be tiring as each shift means walking around more often and standing for a long period of time.
Why Should Nurses Wear Compression Socks and How Does it Work?
Walking around and standing for a long period of time can tire a leg’s muscle. This can also be accompanied with swelling in the ankle, appearance of varicose vein and cramps. This is caused when the blood circulation in the leg back to the heart is disrupted which causes the blood to pool in the leg leading to the conditions mentioned.
The best way to avoid these is to wear a compression socks while working. A compression socks apply pressure to a person’s leg, compressing the walls in the veins and lining which pushes the blood back to the heart for a better circulation.
What are the Benefits of Wearing Compression Socks?
There are several benefits a nurse can get from wearing a compression socks and it can be life changing. For better understanding about why it is life changing, here are the benefits of compression socks for nurses:
- Say no more to leg swelling. Leg swelling is caused by the build-up of fluids in the lower leg. Through wearing a compression socks, it gives the leg a good squeeze to decrease the chances of building up fluids in the leg.
- Manage appearance of varicose veins. To address the common misconception about compression socks, it does not remove varicose veins in the leg, but it helps manage symptoms of the said condition. Having a varicose vein can cause different kind of discomfort like swelling and other forms of leg pain. Through wearing a compression socks, it can stabilize the circulation of the blood in the leg as it squeezes the leg causing the blood in the leg to circulate well.
- Natural blood circulation is made possible through wearing a compression socks. As it applies pressure to the leg, it squeezes the wall and linings of the vein which pushes the blood to naturally circulate in the leg avoiding fluid build-up.
- Minimize bruising and clots. There are professionals who recommend people who have undergone a vein operation to wear compression socks as it reduces the bruising and clots.
- Ease leg fatigue and other form of soreness for pregnant nurses. compression socks and leggings are also commonly used by pregnant women as some of them experiences different discomfort during pregnancy due to the their body’s hormonal changes, as well as the heaviness in the lower body, a pressure coming from the uterus as they carry their baby inside their body. Compression socks for them reduce the likeness of leg cramps and ankle swelling. It also helps manage and conceal their varicose veins.
The benefits of compression socks for nurses can gravely improve their performance in their job as it eases the usual discomfort of being in a nursing professional. Although compression socks are usually worn my people in their early 50s and up which makes other nurses feel hesitate in wearing a compression socks, however, there is no rule stating that comfort and enjoying one’s job can be limited through one’s age.